Headlines (see glossary below):
– The NPSL is out. Georgia Revolution fell 3-2 in the “Battle of Atlanta” against the NASL Silverbacks.
– The USASA is out, though Dearborn took Dayton (USL Pro) to extra time before falling 4-1.
– PDL upsets so far: Reading over Harrisburg (USL Pro), Ocean City over Pittsburgh (USL Pro), Des Moines over Minnesota (NASL), Tucson over San Antonio (NASL)
– Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) won the first head-to-head matchup between pro teams, winning the Tampa Bay derby 2-1 and forcing perennial Open Cup power Seattle Sounders to fly cross-country to face them next week. Other MLS teams with long trips: Los Angeles, San Jose, Colorado, Dallas. The NASL’s Atlanta and USL Pro’s Wilmington have long trips the other direction.
– Local derbies in the third round: Richmond-D.C., Columbus-Dayton, Philadelphia-Ocean City, L.A. Blues-Chivas USA
Final scores (home teams listed first):
USL PRO vs. AMATEUR (8 PDL, 2 USASA)
Richmond (USLP) 4-1 Icon FC (USASA), final
Richmond – D.C. United (again)
Dayton (USLP) 4-1 Dearborn (USASA), final (extra time)
Columbus – Dayton
Reading (PDL) 1-0 Harrisburg City (USLP), final (apologies for having it wrong earlier)
New York (Red Bulls, not FC) – Reading
Ocala (PDL) 1-2 Orlando City (USLP), final
Orlando – Colorado
Charlotte (USLP) 3-0 Seattle Sounders U23 (PDL), final
Charlotte – Chicago
Ocean City (PDL) 1-0 Pittsburgh (USLP), final
Philadelphia – Ocean City
Rochester (USLP) 1-0 GPS Portland Phoenix (PDL), final
Rochester – New England
Austin (PDL) 0-2 Wilmington (USLP), final
Portland – Wilmington
Los Angeles Blues (USLP) 5-1 Ventura County (PDL), final
Los Angeles Blues – Chivas USA
Portland Timbers U23 (PDL) 0-1 Charleston (USLP), final
Charleston – San Jose
NASL vs. AMATEUR (4 PDL, 1 NPSL)
Georgia Revolution (NPSL) 2-3 Atlanta (NASL), final
Salt Lake – Atlanta
Carolina Railhawks (NASL) 3-1 Carolina Dynamo (PDL), final
Carolina Railhawks – Los Angeles
Fort Lauderdale (NASL) 1-1 Laredo (PDL), Fort Lauderdale wins 7-6 on PKs
Fort Lauderdale – Dallas
Minnesota (NASL) 0-1 Des Moines (PDL), final
Kansas City – Des Moines
San Antonio (NASL) 2-2 Tucson (PDL), Tucson wins 4-3 on PKs
Houston – Tucson
USL PRO vs. NASL
VSI Tampa Bay FC (USLP) 1-2 Tampa Bay (NASL), final
Tampa Bay Rowdies – Seattle
The divisional structure in the USA/Canada is:
Division 2: NASL, North American Soccer League. (Not the one that featured Pele and so forth in the 70s.)
Division 3: USL Pro, the top flight of the United Soccer Leagues
PDL: Premier Development League, the USL’s summer amateur league. Mostly college players.
NPSL: National Premier Soccer League, an independent amateur league, also operating mostly in summer.
USASA: U.S. Adult Soccer Association, a national body administering most local and regional leagues.