- Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer, published June 2010
- Enduring Spirit: Restoring Professional Women’s Soccer to Washington, published October 2013
- Single-Digit Soccer: Keeping Sanity in the Earliest Ages of the Beautiful Game, published August 2015. I made a presentation on Single-Digit Soccer (U10s and below) at the 2015 NSCAA convention. See my notes and the slideshow. Also see excerpts and a video.
- How the Hell Did I End Up Cageside?: An Accidental MMA Writer’s Memoir, is in development.
STORIES BY TOPIC
- General soccer
- Olympic sports
- Mixed martial arts
- General sports
BEST OF …
EVENTS AND NEWS STORIES
- 2014 Winter Olympics: Did medal projections and led a team of student volunteers to cover the Games on my own site, SportsMyriad. Also did freelance work for OZY.
- 2012 Summer Olympics: Worked with a startup called Trapit, refining semi-curated search results and Tweeting. Also wrote for Bleacher Report.
- Women’s Professional Soccer lawsuit and demise: Consistently broke news for ESPN and espnW as maverick owner Dan Borislow sued the league, one of the factors in its eventual dissolution.
- 2011 Women’s World Cup: Traveled to Germany to cover early rounds for ESPN and espnW.
- 2010 Winter Olympics: Stationed in Whistler to cover Nordic events and biathlon for USA TODAY.
- 2008 Summer Olympics: Roving reporter and soccer writer in Beijing and neighboring soccer stadiums for USA TODAY.
- 2006 Winter Olympics: Blogger and online content specialist stationed in Main Media Center.
ONLINE CONTENT INNOVATIONS
- Started U.S. Olympic Athlete of the Week feature at USA TODAY and did a lively write-up most weeks.
- Started and maintained timeline and other explainers for ongoing BALCO doping case.
- Wrote primers for each Olympic sport prior to Athens Olympics, giving format, qualifying details and scouting reports. For Torino Olympics, incorporated format explanations in results feed.
- Introduced and set tone for one of the earliest live-blogging endeavors in U.S. media, Athens Watch, in 2004 Summer Olympics.
- Did a Virtual Medal Count based on World Championship results prior to Athens Olympics.
- Used photo galleries as storytelling tools, not just compiling random photos but using them to illustrate key moments, for games in 2002 World Cup.
- Contributions to USA TODAY magazine publications: Green Living, BCS preview, Year in Sports 2010, Fresh: Women’s Health Guide, NHL championship commemorative
MORE WRITING (Author indexes)
- The Guardian (sports and sometimes culture)
- ESPN and espnW (mostly soccer, some Olympic sports and MMA)
- SoccerWire (youth soccer, women’s soccer, other soccer)
- Huffington Post contributions (multisport)
- Popdose (multisport, music, entertainment)
- Mostly Modern Media (personal blog: music, journalism, potpourri)
INTERVIEWS AND MISCELLANY
- Appearances on the Mixxed Zone podcast on women’s soccer
- Soccer Morning appearances: January 2016 on youth soccer issues and U.S. Soccer; January 2014 on the influence of BigSoccer
- August 2015: KNPR (Las Vegas) segment on UFC fighters considering unionization
- December 2013: Bloody Elbow hangout on state of the UFC after Georges St. Pierre’s decision to step away
- July 2002: World Cup chat
- April 2000: Master of Arts thesis on changing face of news in the information age
- The definitive word on participation trophies …
- The happy exiles: why US women’s soccer stars choose to play abroad | Football | The Guardian
- The Ultimate Fighter 25: Redemption episode 4 recap – Poetry and purple toenails – Bloody Elbow
- Survey: How many (too many) youth soccer leagues in your area?
- The best U.S. women’s league ever? NWSL is still chasing WUSA | FourFourTwo
- The Ultimate Fighter 25: Redemption episode 3 recap – Taylor owns TUF gym – Bloody Elbow
- Why the ESPN layoffs should terrify MMA promoters and fans – Bloody Elbow
- The Ultimate Fighter 25: Redemption episode 2 recap – Fight surprises, chatter doesn’t – Bloody Elbow