World Championship season is tough for those of us who try to pick an award winner. What do you do when you have someone who has won three straight world titles (plus the Olympics, plus two world indoor titles) in the women’s long jump, like Brittney Reese? Or an Olympic decathlon champion who repeated the feat at Worlds, like Ashton Eaton?
You give it to the fencer, of course.
Miles Chamley-Watson was just outside the top 16 seeds coming into the men’s foil competition at the World Championships, so he had to work his way through pool play before reaching the knockout rounds. Then he won his first bout 15-12. Then he came from 10-6 down to win 15-14 in the round of 32. Down 11-6 in the round of 16? Came back to win 15-14. Down 12-5 in the quarters? Oh, that has to be it — oops, he came back and won 15-14 again.
The semifinals and the final were comparatively easy. Watch his final performance in the playlist below.
He also picked up another medal today, earning silver in the team competition. That’ll be in next week’s playlist.
So Chamley-Watson is this week’s Woly Award winner, given to the best U.S. performance in Olympic sports this week.
The full list of highlights in the playlist here:
- Fencing: Chamley-Watson, world men’s foil champion
- Track and field: Reese, world women’s long jump champion
- Track and field: Eaton, world decathlon champion
- Beach volleyball: Jennifer Fopma and Brooke Sweat win first FIVB medal
- Volleyball: Young U.S. team wins epic match with Serbia
- Track and field: Usain Bolt isn’t American, but he’s in the highlight reel anyway — besides, Justin Gatlin was the only person anywhere near him
- Fencing: Team bronze for the U.S. women in sabre
- Fencing: One for the blooper reel
- Track and field: Mo Farah at least trains in the USA, and he’s too good to ignore
- Swimming: Thomas Shields wins 100-meter butterfly in World Cup
- Swimming: Tyler Clary wins 400-meter butterfly, same meet
- Badminton: Surreal end to a classic World Championship final between men’s singles legends Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei
[iframe src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLWAQzaiNbisnUbuvswLTLQIMI7Uoiacn7″ width=”560″ height=”315″]