ESPNewsreallyquicklygavethe30-manpreliminaryUSroster for the World Cup and talked to U.S. coach Bob Bradley about it.
It’ll be cut to 23. If someone’s injured, the roster can yet be changed.
– No fourth goalkeeper. Not really a risk in terms of injuries, since Bradley could always grab an MLS keeper if needed. But still a slight risk. What if Brad Guzan, who hasn’t played much recently, comes into camp and isn’t in top form?
– No Charlie Davies. Bob Bradley said he was not given a “full medical clearance” from his club. Second opinion from American doctor wouldn’t hurt, but Bradley might know more than we do. On the flip side, Bradley said Milan has been including Oguchi Onyewu in preliminary squads and has given indications that he’s ready.
– Eddie Johnson gets a spot from his form with Aris in Greece. Freddy Adu does not. I’d love to hear Bradley’s reasoning on this.
– DaMarcus Beasley gets a shot in camp to show his fitness and form.
– Aside from Beasley, World Cup veterans didn’t get a break. Not Frankie Hejduk, who had some terrific performances in qualifying early last year but had a drop in form. Not Jimmy Conrad.
Updating my list from yesterday:
LOCKS for final 23
Tim Howard, GK
Brad Guzan, GK
Marcus Hahnemann, GK
Carlos Bocanegra, D
Michael Bradley, M
Maurice Edu, M
Landon Donovan, M/F
Clint Dempsey, M/F
Jozy Altidore, F
NEAR-LOCKS for final 23 (fitness questions)
Oguchi Onyewu, D
Jay DeMerit, D
Stuart Holden, M
Charlie Davies, F
NEAR-LOCKS for final 23 (form questions)
Jonathan Spector, D
Steve Cherundolo, D
Jonathan Bornstein, D – Chang omits
Ricardo Clark, M
Benny Feilhaber, M
Jose Francisco Torres, M
That’s 19 18 who are likely bound for South Africa unless their fitness or form fails them in camp.
THE BUBBLE – listed with writers backing them for final 23
Frankie Hejduk, D – Wahl
Clarence Goodson, D – Wahl, Davis
Edgar Castillo, D – Mravic,
Chad Marshall, D – Mravic
Heath Pearce, D/M
Alejandro Bedoya, M – on 4 of 5 SI picks for final 23
Sacha Kljestan, M – Davis
DaMarcus Beasley, M – Dohrmann
Robbie Rogers, M – Dohrmann
Bobby Convey, M
Brian Ching, F – Wahl, Mravic, Chang
Herculez Gomez, F – Wahl, Chang
Edson Buddle, F – Davis, Mravic
Eddie Johnson, F – Davis
Brian McBride, F – Davis, despite his retirement from international play
Robbie Findley, F
Nick Rimando, GK
SHOULD BE IN CAMP BUT WON’T BE
- Jimmy Conrad, D
- Freddy Adu, M/F
2 thoughts on “The World Cup 30”
I wonder about taking Rogers and Kljestan but not Adu. Rogers is not really burning it upright now and hasn’t been for a minute. Adu hasn’t featured for Aris lately, but he brings more to the table than Rogers.
Also I’m unimpressed with Findley. His control isn’t where most international strikers need it and he doesn’t seem like one of those guys who makes everyone better. Having said that Casey isn’t showing much this year so if its a choice between the two, then why not Findley. He’s fast, right?
Projected cuts: Rogers, Findely, Johnson, Gomez, Buddle, Kljestan, Pearce.
@Nathan: only bringing two outright forwards? Not likely. I expect, at a minimum, one of Johnson, Buddle or Gomez is included. And I expect it’ll be Johnson, despite how disappointing he has been for the national team. I’d rather it be Buddle. In place of Johnson/Buddle, I’m going to say Marshall doesn’t make the 23.