Beau Dure, Vienna, VA
- Edited K: The King of Cameron, a retrospective of Mike Krzyzewski’s career as Duke basketball coach featuring archival work from The Chronicle and dozens of original stories.
- Wrote Why the U.S. Men Will Never Win the World Cup: A Historical and Cultural Reality Check, an academic work with a lot of pop-culture references and an appeal to embrace the underdog mentality.
- Wrote 2012: The Year That Saved Women’s Soccer, an oral history of the year between U.S. pro women’s soccer leagues.
- Wrote The Soccer Site Doctor Guide to Healing Your Club’s Website, a short book advising youth soccer clubs on their digital content needs.
- Wrote How the Hell Did I End Up Cageside: An Accidental MMA Writer’s Memoir, a memoir and MMA history.
- Wrote Single-Digit Soccer: Keeping Sanity in the Earliest Ages of the Beautiful Game, a funny, honest look at youth soccer’s joys and issues.
- Wrote Enduring Spirit: Restoring Professional Women’s Soccer to Washington, a behind-the-scenes look at the Washington Spirit’s first season.
- Wrote Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer, a history of the league relying on research and exclusive interviews.
- Cover a variety of sports for The Guardian.
- Cover soccer issues for Soccer America.
- Cover Olympic sports for NBC.
- Host X Marks the Pod, a Gen X-themed podcast.
- Write for other freelance clients, including FourFourTwo, Bloody Elbow, SoccerWire, Bleacher Report, OZY, FoxSoccer.com, USA TODAY, Popdose, The Huffington Post and ESPN.
Substitute teacher, Fairfax County Public Schools
- Fill in for absent teachers and help with assorted tasks around two elementary schools and one high school.
Reporter/Online Editor, USA TODAY
Nov. 2000-March 2010
- Wrote soccer, Olympic sports and mixed martial arts stories for the newspaper and Web site.
- Managed the site’s coverage in soccer, Olympic sports, hockey, golf, boxing, MMA, high school sports, horse racing and other sports at various times.
- Pioneered blog efforts and was a lead blogger on Sports Scope and Soccer Sweep as well as a contributor to MMA Fighting Stances and Game On.
- Managed long-term site improvement projects such as automated statistics, working with vendors and wire services.
- Developed online coverage plans for events including the 2010 Olympics, 2004 Olympics, 2003 Women’s World Cup, 2002 World Cup and 2002 Olympics.
- Planned and researched graphics and other multimedia features.
Interactive Content Developer, USA TODAY
Nov. 1999-Nov. 2000: Helped to develop the site’s chat features and message boards. Wrote soccer columns.
Assistant News Editor, Knight Ridder Tribune (Washington, DC)
Oct. 1998-Nov. 1999: Selected and edited stories for use by wire service clients. Supervised news desk on Saturdays and holidays. Designed and edited syndicated print pages. Wrote a weekly soccer column.
Online Sports Editor/Coordinating Producer, News & Record (Greensboro, NC)
Nov. 1996-Aug. 1998: Created and produced content for the Web site of the News & Record.
Copy Editor/Page Designer, News & Record
Oct. 1994- Nov. 1996: Also assisted management in scheduling copy desk and supervising editorial assistants.
Copy Editor/Page Designer, Morning Star (Wilmington, NC)
Aug. 1991- Oct. 1994: Also filled in where needed for sports editor and assistant city editor. Wrote sports columns and game stories.
Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, Duke University. May 2000. Final project examined changing role of news in information age.
Bachelor of Arts, Duke University. May 1991. Majors: Philosophy, Music. Also was managing editor, magazine editor, reporter and columnist for The Chronicle.
- Board member, The Chronicle, Duke’s student news organization (current)
- Referee, Virginia Youth Soccer Association (current)
- Member, Society for American Soccer History (current)
- Coach, Vienna Youth Soccer
- Crosstown Hoops organizer and Facebook manager, Kilmer Middle PTA
- Communications chair, Wolftrap Elementary PTA
- Chair, Wolftrap Elementary Chess Club
- President, North American Soccer Reporters
- Board member and Web manager, Tysons Corner Children’s Center