Beau Dure, Vienna, VA
- Edited K: The King of Cameron, a retrospective of Mike Krzyzewski’s career as Duke basketball coach featuring archival work from The Chronicle and dozens of original stories.
- Wrote Why the U.S. Men Will Never Win the World Cup: A Historical and Cultural Reality Check, an academic work with a lot of pop-culture references and an appeal to embrace the underdog mentality.
- Wrote 2012: The Year That Saved Women’s Soccer, an oral history of the year between U.S. pro women’s soccer leagues.
- Wrote The Soccer Site Doctor Guide to Healing Your Club’s Website, a short book advising youth soccer clubs on their digital content needs.
- Wrote How the Hell Did I End Up Cageside: An Accidental MMA Writer’s Memoir, a memoir and MMA history.
- Wrote Single-Digit Soccer: Keeping Sanity in the Earliest Ages of the Beautiful Game, a funny, honest look at youth soccer’s joys and issues.
- Wrote Enduring Spirit: Restoring Professional Women’s Soccer to Washington, a behind-the-scenes look at the Washington Spirit’s first season.
- Wrote Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer, a history of the league relying on research and exclusive interviews.
- Cover a variety of sports for The Guardian.
- Cover soccer issues for Soccer America.
- Cover Olympic sports for NBC.
- Host X Marks the Pod, a Gen X-themed podcast.
- Write for other freelance clients, including FourFourTwo, Bloody Elbow, SoccerWire, Bleacher Report, OZY, FoxSoccer.com, USA TODAY, Popdose, The Huffington Post and ESPN.
Substitute teacher, Fairfax County Public Schools
- Fill in for absent teachers and help with assorted tasks around two elementary schools and one high school.
Reporter/Online Editor, USA TODAY
Nov. 2000-March 2010
- Wrote soccer, Olympic sports and mixed martial arts stories for the newspaper and Web site.
- Managed the site’s coverage in soccer, Olympic sports, hockey, golf, boxing, MMA, high school sports, horse racing and other sports at various times.
- Pioneered blog efforts and was a lead blogger on Sports Scope and Soccer Sweep as well as a contributor to MMA Fighting Stances and Game On.
- Managed long-term site improvement projects such as automated statistics, working with vendors and wire services.
- Developed online coverage plans for events including the 2010 Olympics, 2004 Olympics, 2003 Women’s World Cup, 2002 World Cup and 2002 Olympics.
- Planned and researched graphics and other multimedia features.
Interactive Content Developer, USA TODAY
Nov. 1999-Nov. 2000: Helped to develop the site’s chat features and message boards. Wrote soccer columns.
Assistant News Editor, Knight Ridder Tribune (Washington, DC)
Oct. 1998-Nov. 1999: Selected and edited stories for use by wire service clients. Supervised news desk on Saturdays and holidays. Designed and edited syndicated print pages. Wrote a weekly soccer column.
Online Sports Editor/Coordinating Producer, News & Record (Greensboro, NC)
Nov. 1996-Aug. 1998: Created and produced content for the Web site of the News & Record.
Copy Editor/Page Designer, News & Record
Oct. 1994- Nov. 1996: Also assisted management in scheduling copy desk and supervising editorial assistants.
Copy Editor/Page Designer, Morning Star (Wilmington, NC)
Aug. 1991- Oct. 1994: Also filled in where needed for sports editor and assistant city editor. Wrote sports columns and game stories.
Bachelor of Arts, Duke University. May 1991. Majors: Philosophy, Music. Also was managing editor, magazine editor, reporter and columnist for The Chronicle.
- Board member, The Chronicle, Duke’s student news organization (current)
- Referee, Virginia Youth Soccer Association (current)
- Member, Society for American Soccer History (current)
- Coach, Vienna Youth Soccer
- Crosstown Hoops organizer and Facebook manager, Kilmer Middle PTA
- Communications chair, Wolftrap Elementary PTA
- Chair, Wolftrap Elementary Chess Club
- President, North American Soccer Reporters
- Board member and Web manager, Tysons Corner Children’s Center